THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
November 21, 2018, 03:33:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tunnels Under the Factory  (Read 11446 times)
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« on: November 15, 2008, 10:38:24 am »

Recently I was told that NCR had a program where boys of 14 up could work at the NCR factory a couple days a week as messengers. This was considered part of their schooling and was added to their time with the company if they were hired on later. These boys wore roller skates and went from building to building by way of the tunnels under the factory. Tunnels allowed people to go from building to building without going outside. They were used as a supply route to the buildings out of the weather and passed under all the streets.

Is there anyone to tell more about such an interesting detail?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:35:41 pm by Aleksandrs Guba » Logged
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:32:41 pm »

At last I've got the confirmation and photo! Tunnels were once used to move materials through parts of the NCR factory complex.

Aleksandrs
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:36:08 pm by Aleksandrs Guba » Logged
terrymoz

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:45:54 pm »

I first visited NCR Dayton from NCR UK in 1964 and I was given a factory tour which
involved visiting all Dayton manufacturing facilities and which involved walking through
the tunnels that connected each facility. The tunnels were used to transport materials
and goods as well as providing a walkway for personnel.
I also remember being invited to dine in the Horseshoe Room at the top of the
main building. The invitation was from Howard Stauffer who was head of International operations.
After lunch with Mr Stauffer and other executives a film was shown , I think it was the latest local newscast. They were good times, NCR was transforming from a mechanical cash register
company into an electronic computer company and in 1964 I was a newly qualified electronics
engineer teaching the 315 computer system in the UK     
dlreedy

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:30:28 am »

I started working at NCR in early 1970 when the factory was still going strong.  I worked in Bldg 26 on Patterson Blvd.  We used the tunnels to go to all the other buildings.  Some parts of the routes to the buildings 10, 11, 12 etc went on the factory floors and other parts were underground beneath the streets.  It was useful in bad weather when we went to the NCR lunchroom and to the daily movies shown at lunchtime in the auditorium.  I was saddened to see all the buildings gone and the large world headquaters function moved to Georgia and the University of Dayton taking over the headquarters building for research facilities.

Dennis Reedy
Former NCR Dayton Employee
uglytuna

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:02:09 pm »

The tunnels between the buildings at the NCR factory complex were truly amazing.  In the mid-sixties I received 340 printer training in the basement of building 26 at the corner of Patterson and K street.  At the time I rented an apartment off Brown Street not far from the NCR Credit Union.  It was winter and bitter cold outside.  I would enter the building across the street from the Credit Union and take the tunnels all the way across the complex coming out at building 26, staying nice and warm for the whole trip.  These two buildings were diagonally opposite from each other and as far as you could go and still be on NCR property.  It was always an adventure to make that trip each morning and then return each evening.  We would also take the tunnels to the auditorium of building 10 to watch 45 minutes of a movie during our lunch hour every day.  A whistle would blow and the screen would go black telling us it was time to go back to work.  Fond memories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: