THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
August 19, 2018, 10:05:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NCR 315  (Read 93214 times)
JimT

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 08:08:21 pm »

The Memory Correction Unit to which you refer was actually called the Error Correction Unit, or ECU.  It was a 618-940.  My team designed and implemented that unit, but it was not a good match for core memories.  Its design capability was to error correct any single bit error, but that is not the failure tendency of a core memory.  It cost about 180-200 nanoseconds on each memory cycle, which turned out to be a bad trade off since it did not do as good a job correcting core memories as it did IC memories.  As I recall all units were eventually disconnected from the systems.  You may particularly remember one of my visits there.  Sumitomo Bank (I believe the Osaka installation) had a 618-940 that had been damaged at the receiving dock in Japan.  I was checking the error correcting displays on the unit when it brought the on-line system down (NOT GOOD!).  It turned out the sheet metal had been bent and when I rotated the rotary switched it shorted to part of the frame, therefore shorting out the logic.  It shouldn’t have happened, but it did.  I never touched another on-line system after that.  I also traveled to Japan for 8500 memory problems and later I went as a Mfg rep for 9800-2 problems.  My last trip there was somewhere around 1991 with Bob Crawford.  I believe that each time I was there I met and coordinated with Mr. Ito and Mr. Akiyama.  I worked closely with Terry Terasawa and Terry Tanaka.
n8eyh with OCD-WM42 of Hilse

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 12:43:26 pm »

Dear Jim Taylor,
  I am appreciated of your correct memory of our NCR Large Sytem Design Era around 1980s.
Yes, we might share the ECU problem of C-350 and the bus fault by memory error of 8570MP or 8550MP(?)
in Osaka of Sumitomo Bank.
I believe that the TOX operating system had been enhanced sophisticatedly by those problems since NCR-315 days.
I remember, for example, when the fault bell was ringing by the rod memory error or the CRAM memory film stick of NCR 315 RMC during online process computing, every field engneers used to run and gather to the console of the failed computer, in order to confirm the status and the cause. Of course, the bank staffs had already switched the service to the altered computer immediately. Then, there was no problem for notices by end-users at ATMs.
On the other hand, news paper used to introduce that the Giants computer of NCR competitor stopped their services around a hour in order to dicide the restart and recovery point for the altered computer.
I believe that such smart designs came from the 'All-for-One' good tackled partnership with Rancho Bernardo staffs, Mr. M. Ito and Mr. I. Akiyama who was an original designer and coached us, young trainees, to grow to developers of the Century TOX soon.

I rememer that I was encouraged by the presentation of Mr. Tom Tang for the bank staffs with us, related to the NCR 9800 concept, when he visited to the Osaka computer center of Sumitomo Bank. Because he introduced new idea related to computing virtually on the Disk-less large scaled flat memory for the Data-Base handling of the post-Criterion computer.

Anyway, next month will cause us to change to young, because we, the TOX delopment staff, are going to gather around Mr. I. Akiyama in Tokyo.

Have a nice weekend,
Katsuhiko

Katsuhiko Hirai
Fan of the Century architecture under 63 index registers.
JimT

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 12:11:46 am »

Dear Katsuhiko-san  - From your description I am sure we have crossed paths.  My first visit to Japan was for over two weeks on the 618-940, including teaching logic classes for it.  Larry Allman accompanied me at the time.  By the second visit I was working in the Memory group.  There were two Criterion memory problems, but fortunately they were understood and under control shortly before my visit.  Both times Tom Tang sent me.  I will not be able to pass any stories to him as he died of a heart attack several years ago at his cabin in Lake Tahoe.  I worked in his organization for a long time, and he was responsible for a lot of our development – especially with NCR-Japan.  I don’t know that Akiyama-san will remember me, but please pass on my greetings to him.  I met with him and Ito-san several times in Japan.  The TOX systems were responsible for a lot of NCR’s revenue and system development.

I have a picture taken in 1984 with Tom Tang, Chuck Exley, Rocky Young and myself.  I will see if I can find it and see if it can be posted on this board.

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 04:49:26 am »

Dear Jim,
  I am appreciated of your posting of your memory.
I am very sorry that Mr. Tom Tang passed away. Because I got much good encouragement from his technical concept.
I am praying his good watching from Heaven to our junior activities.

Well, I informed your message to Mr. Akiyama and a group of former field engineers for Sumitomo Bank systems.
I am hoping a new message for you soon directly or indirectly.
From my friend of the TOX team, I heard that Mr. Akiyama is enjoying to play golf for his health often in these years.

It's a beautiful sky on Sunday, today.
Have a good day,
Katsuhiko
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 04:54:18 am by n8eyh » Logged

Katsuhiko Hirai
JimT

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 06:54:36 am »

I hope this attachment works.  If so you will see a picture taken in June of 1984.  Left to right is Chuck Exley, myself, Rocky Young and Tom Tang.

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 08:24:21 am »

Dear Jim Taylor,
  Good evening and good afternoon from Yokohama.
With successful openning, I am appreciated of your memorial award photo
with engineers contributed for the NCR computer development.

And I am appreciated of Mr. Aleksandrs Guba who is contributing for us
to share our brilliant young powered days through this web site.
Because my brain is now flashing back to creative days around 30 years old,
in order to transfer our technical experience and theory to next generation
people even though my body is just in 62 years old situation.

I am very happy that I have worked and been educated in NCR.

Best regards,
Katsuhiko Hirai
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:07:31 pm by n8eyh » Logged

Katsuhiko Hirai

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2007, 07:39:01 am »

Dear Jim,
  Good evening and good afternoon from Yokohama, Japan.
Today, I received a message, from Mr. Akiyama, that he is watching
these pages with his curiosity deeply.
He is waiting for our updates of discussing project through this NCR core memory.

By the way, now I am planning to attach the MMU fuctional circuit to my 16 bits MPU
with getting help of my friend who is a hardware engineer.
I am hoping to rebuild the feature of TOX-II on the micro-micro processor, in order to
confirm the performance of task-switch-less kernel architecture
under the register stack machine, even though it would have been already inspected
by the NCR post-8600 computer after I left NCR.

To trell the truth, I would like to know the experience of Mr. Akiyama, who tried to
analyze the performance of BAL/LAR handling for the multi-programming
on NCR 315-RMC of the Sumitomo Bank in 1960s.

I heard his trial story from my instructor lady through discussing after completion of our freshmen trainning.
She said to me that this result of inspection had caused him to imagine the capability of TOX-OS concept.
I am wishing to feel his passion when he found the pure light of NCR realtime processing archtecture.
Because, in the mcro-process based OS, I could not find a technology similar to TOX operating kernel.
I suppose that the TOX concept would provide more economical processing and contribute to
the reduction of CO-2 problem on this globe by the reduced energy on the computer systems.

Best regards,
Katsuhiko

Katsuhiko Hirai
Somebody

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2007, 04:17:42 am »

Hello!

As noted before, I never actually worked on a 315 but my late 1960's job at May Company Department Stores in Cleveland sometimes required me to visit the computer room which had a compliment of two 315s (both 10K if memory serves), two printers, an OCR reader for cash register rolls (a 420?), paper tape reader/punch, and several tape handlers. Every document I've ever seen regarding 315-era NCR tape handlers show them with tape reels stacked vertically, one above the other. However, the tape handlers I saw had horizontal (side by side) tape reels with "IBM-type" vertical vacuum columns. I don't remember if they had an NCR logo on them. Did NCR supply such tape handlers for their 315 systems? If not, were 315-compatible tape handlers made by other manufacturers? The tape handlers in question looked suspiciously similar to same-era Control Data (CDC) units.

Does anyone know where to find good, sharp, close-up pictures of a 315 and 315-RMC console? All the pics I've seen so far are too small to show much detail.

Best regards to all!
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 01:33:49 pm »

Hi Somebody,

I believe I have some pictures of NCR 315 console, which may satisfy you. By the way, today I've posted 22 photos of NCR 315 electronic boards to "The Gallery/Electronic Boards" page of the site.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:38:19 pm by Aleksandrs Guba » Logged
Somebody

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2007, 04:57:25 am »

Hi Somebody,

I believe I have some pictures of NCR 315 console, which may satisfy you. By the way, today I've posted 22 photos of NCR 315 electronic boards to "The Gallery/Electronic Boards" page of the site.

Enjoy.

Hi Aleksandrs,

Can you please post the 315 console pics to your website?

Your website brings back great memories of a marvelous time when computers and programmers were considered to be special, not a dime a dozen. Thank you for a great website!
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2007, 03:14:45 pm »

Hi Somebody,

Please find attached NCR 315 Console image. Hope it will suite your needs. I will put some bigger images to the site within few days.

Enjoy!
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2007, 06:42:54 pm »

Hi Somebody,

You may find bigger images of NCR 315 Console and NCR 315 Console Display here http://www.thecorememory.com/html/computers.html as two last items under NCR 315 second row. Unfortunately photo of the NCR 315 Console Display is too big for pop-up image (you may see just part of it), so if that is what you need, I will send it to you as a separate file. Just let me know.

Aleksandrs
Somebody

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2007, 03:03:33 am »

Hi Somebody,

You may find bigger images of NCR 315 Console and NCR 315 Console Display here http://www.thecorememory.com/html/computers.html as two last items under NCR 315 second row. Unfortunately photo of the NCR 315 Console Display is too big for pop-up image (you may see just part of it), so if that is what you need, I will send it to you as a separate file. Just let me know.

Aleksandrs

Hi Aleksandrs,

Thank you for those great pictures. Sure, I'd be glad to receive a complete picture of the console lights (you're right, pop-up is truncated). If you wish, you can e-mail it to me at:  somebody@fastmail.fm

Thank you so much! Have a great day.

RetrospectUK

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 10:09:38 pm »

I have put a film of the 315 and CRAM onto the NCR History website at www.ncr.org.uk . The film is about 15 minutes long.

I hope that you enjoy it.

Ian
sameasitev

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 08:23:54 pm »

I started my career in computers on an NCR 315 back around 1965,, i have a photo of me at the keyboard of the 315 at the Moscow narodny bank in London.  It was taken for a Computer Weekly article on the bank and it's new computer.  Sadly the photo is a bit the worse for wear.  But maybe some of you may be interested.  I'm still working in computers, programming still, 45 years later.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sameasitev/268019800/sizes/l/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: