THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
December 17, 2018, 04:09:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NCR Proprietary Operating Systems  (Read 56018 times)
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« on: March 20, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »

As far as I know these are main NCR proprietary OS:

- STEP - OS for NCR 315 with 33x magnetic tape drives;
- KERNEL - OS for NCR 315 with CRAM;
- B1 - OS for NCR Century series computers;
- B2 - OS for NCR Century series computers;
- B3 - OS for NCR Century series computers;
- B4 - OS for NCR Century series computers;
- DNOS - OS for NCR computers;
- IMOS II, III, IV, V - OS for NCR 8200 series;
- IRX - OS for NCR 8200, 8400 series;
- MOS - Multiprogramming OS for NCR Century 300 - 350 computers;
- S2 - Resident executive for the C-615-100 online realtime OS;
- SIX - Executive for micro-coded minicomputers;
- TOX - OS for NCR Century 350 computers at Sumitomo bank, Japan;
- TOX-B1 - Dispatching kernel for the B1 under the TOX OS;
- ITX - OS for NCR I-9300, 9300IP, 9500 and I-10000;
- VRX - OS for NCR 84XX and up;
- VRX/E - OS for NCR C-9800 Fault Tolerant Systems;
- VRX - OS for NCR 84XX and up;
- VRX/E - OS for NCR C-9800 Fault Tolerant Systems;
- IDPS OS for NCR 8100, 8130, 8150;
- FOS - OS for INTEL 8080 chip for programming Modular Teller System.
- RECAPS - OS for 8200/9020 to run 7750 document processing machines.
- TMX - OS for the NCR BAS 5000 series online (branch automation) products.

Is this list complete?

P.S.

Remember NCR IMOS III System Commands?

Assign Input or I-O Magnetic Disc File

label: ASSIGN file-id TO physical-file-id/gen(n,DI)[,OWN,SHR],OLD,NOAUTO,READ,BUFFER,UPDATE;com

Assign Output Disc File

label: ASSIGN file-id TO physical-file-id/gen(n,DI)[,OWN,SHR,PRI],NEW,s,AP[,SCRATCH,SPOOL],NOAUTO,BUFFER,UPDATE;com

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:37:53 am by Aleksandrs Guba » Logged
JimT

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:54:12 pm »

IRX was also used on the 8400 series.

ITX was first used on the I-9300, and then on the 9300IP and 9500.  The I-9300 was the first commercial processing system with a VLSI based 32 bit processor.  Those were followed by the I-10000 series.
uglytuna

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 04:43:18 am »

NCR 315 computers that operated with 33x magnetic tape drives used an operating system called STEP.  Systems that had CRAM units I believe ran another operating system.  I think it was called Kernel or something of that nature.  Are there any geezers out there who still remembers their names?

Herb
NEXUS

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:21:55 pm »

You may add:

VRX/E for the NCR C-9800 Fault Tolerant Systems.

Emmanuel

As far as I know these are main NCR proprietary OS:

- STEP - OS for NCR 315 with 33x magnetic tape drives;
- KERNEL? - OS for NCR 315 using CRAM;
- B1, B2, B3, B4 - OS for NCR Century series computers;
- DNOS - OS for NCR computers;
- IMOS - OS for NCR 8200 series;
- IRX - OS for NCR 8200, 8400 series;
- MOS - Multiprogramming OS for NCR Century 300 - 350 computers;
- TOX - OS for NCR Century 350 computers at Sumitomo bank, Japan;
- VRX - OS for NCR 84XX and up.

Is this list complete?

P.S.

Remember NCR IMOS III System Commands?

Assign Input or I-O Magnetic Disc File

label: ASSIGN file-id TO physical-file-id/gen(n,DI)[,OWN,SHR],OLD,NOAUTO,READ,BUFFER,UPDATE;com

Assign Output Disc File

label: ASSIGN file-id TO physical-file-id/gen(n,DI)[,OWN,SHR,PRI],NEW,s,AP[,SCRATCH,SPOOL],NOAUTO,BUFFER,UPDATE;com

n8eyh with OCD-WM42 of Hilse

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:30:52 pm »

Hi!

Will you add more two kernel?
1) "S2" resident executive for the C-615-100 online realtime operating system.
    Although I am not sure the correctness of the code 'S2',
    the B2 executive was too large and needed the feature of HASP for the ISR initiation.
    Then the B2 executive was convenient for the C-615-200 and upper grade processor in Century.
    Does anyone remember the correctness whether the code S2 is right for C-615-100?

2) "TOX-B1" dispatching kernel for the B1 under the TOX OS.
    Like some one introduced in this forum, the TOX OS utilized the B4-like operation in parallel
    with the realtime operation of TOX application.
    The outlook of proccessing similar to the one of B4 operations through the console & CRT display.
    However, the original idea between them was quite different each other.
    Because the B4 OS used to increase the overhead by additional controlled procedures,
    on the other hand, the TOX-B1 caused the reduction of overhead by the protocol conversion
    technique on the communication procedure between the B1 and TOX.
    From my experience of customer services for the B4 user site, the B4 used to be unstable under
    the hardware malfunction like the memory error or the illegal S2 status response at the i/o operation.
    At the time, I thought that the reason of the system down on B4 operation itself would be invited by
    the complexed algrism of the B4 software overlays during hardware troubles.
    This was one of tearful stories at the computer room in my long time ago.
    I like the word 'simple is best.'

Best regards,
Katsuhiko

Katsuhiko Hirai
Fan of the Century architecture under 63 index registers.
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:41:07 am »

"Like most computer mainframe makers, NCR used proprietary operating systems through the 50s, 60s and 70s. I don't recall specific names being used for the 315. Although early days, 315s could support telecommunications, background print spooling and standard batch processing. There was also a famous (or infamous) random access peripheral called Card Random Access Memory (CRAM), where a stack of cards with notches cut at the top, was hung on a series of quarter cylinder rods and a selected card could be "dropped" down a chute onto a drum. The cards were mylar with magnetic oxide like tape, and could be read and written while on the drum, then returned to the deck. The drum cylinder was perforated and vacuum cleaner bits kept the card on the drum while in use. I did once hear it described as Chaos Reaches Al-time Magnitude, but it was genuine random access and if the media was monitored carefully, the system worked well. It was like 256 selectable drums!

When the Century series came out c 1967, there were three versions of the operating system described B1, B2, B3. B1 was a standard, single program batch system, and the only one supported on the Century 100. B2 was a timesharing system that provided for a telecommunications program and a batch partition.  B3 was a full multipartitioned control suite that allowed either a B1 or B2 OS in each partition.

There was also a special OS and (I think) some fairly special hardware too, for Sumitomo Bank in Japan. They had previously used the features of the 315 to the full and NCR needed to do quite a bit to the Century and OS to get similar capabilities for them.

They also had a micro-coded minicomputer around 1972 which had been built originally as a programmable disc controller, but was used by the Retail and Financial groups as a terminal controller and remote mutliplexor. It used an executive (known as SIX) and the Retail group built a store level controller with Tape capture (creating standard format magnetic tapes, and the Financial group used the basis of that system to create their Proof Controller that took care of cheque processing machines. There was no real "OS" at that time. However, General Purpose Systems built an OS to support multiple concurrent terminal users running applications written in interpreted (intermediate code) COBOL, which was called IMOS. As the Criterion range took over from the Century, in addition to the B-family OS replacements, an I-family was born with IRX also being offered on the larger machines.

In 1982 NCR launched the Tower (a trademarked name) which was a Motorola 68000 processor running UNIX. They were the first major supplier (one of the BUNCH) to offer a standard OS on their systems. There were a range of Tower systems built, and they were also sold by Sperry (5000 model I think). Unisys continued with sales for a while after the takeover of Sperry. I think Sperry sold more NCR Towers than NCR!

The Tower became the basis of the Retail and Financial controllers, though there was a similar looking, but higher availability version built by retail. NatWest in the UK adopted that controller for their branches in favour of the "official" Tower Financial system.

In 1991 (I think) NCR announced a switch to Intel processors and the System 3000 range of multiprocessor units. NCR stopped making their own processors, and moved completely to standard OS (mainly UNIX)".

The author of this post is Rick Lugg, who kindly give me his permission to publish it here. I hope that he will join the forum quite soon.

Aleksandrs

P.S. As it was mentioned above, there were a range of Tower systems built. Here's a list of the Tower systems I was able to find:

Tower 1632 and Tower XP (Class 3400)
Mini-Tower (Class 3450)
Tower 32/200 (Class 3800)
Tower 32/300 (Class 3476)
Tower 32/400 (Class 3470)
Tower 32/450 (Class 3475)
Tower 32/500 (Class 3466)
Tower 32/600 (Class 3460)
Tower 32/650 (Class 3465)
Tower 32/700 (Class 3466)
Tower 32/750 (Class 3476)
Tower 32/800 (Class 3600)
Tower 32/850 (Class 3605).

--------------------------

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:51:04 pm by Aleksandrs Guba » Logged
Herman

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:49 pm »

If I recall correctly:

- the correct name for Kernel was PACE KERNEL / EXTREMITY that also generated the PM #.. (Pace Message)

- PM # 10: cannot read track
- PM # 15: write protect is ON
- PM # 20: wrong card (or error in track label)
- PM # 23: file full, change deck
- PM # SK: skip track written
- WG DK: wrong deck in unit (or card not not initialized properly)
etc
uglytuna

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 12:05:05 am »

Extremity was the name given to all I/O sub-routines used to open Open and Close peripheral files.  It also contained the I/O error sub-routines for those peripherals.  Extremity was used on the 315 by both the Kernal (CRAM) and STEP (mag tape) operating systems.  It was brought forward to the the 615 (Century) B1 and B2 operating systems.

Extremeity was almost completly contained as Software Overlays on the 615.  The overlays were actually an extension of the operating system and were read into from one to four 512 byte areas at the end of memory by the B1 and B2 executives as required.  An extended Disc Directory print would list the overlays on a primary or alternate systems disc.
FdeLeon

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 02:14:39 am »

We have to add:
 IDPS for series 8100 - 8130 8150 
Best regards. Fernando
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:13:46 pm »

Thank you, Fernando, but we are speaking here about NCR Proprietary Operating Systems for computers of 20th Century.

Best regards,
Aleksandrs
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:15:35 pm by Aleksandrs Guba » Logged
FdeLeon

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 02:30:06 am »

Aleksandrs:
I stay in NCR Corp. Spain for 20 years, and the 8100 series was release in 1980 aprox. I preserve almost all my pocket references of many machines, OS, and lenguages. In a normal e-mail to the master I attach both an urgent scan of the pocket reference of the I-8100 series and Pocket reference of IDPS Operating System. I program many of those machines, with the same COBOL of IMOS III.  For more informatión contact me.
Regards. Fernando.
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 05:07:01 pm »

Sorry for misunderstanding, Fernando. That was because I decided you meant modern NCR equipment, which I'm not familiar with, as some of it wear analogic identification, for example NCR 8100/8200. IDPS is now added to the OS list.

Thank you for clarifying and scans sent.

Aleksandrs
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:14:06 pm by Aleksandrs Guba » Logged
FdeLeon

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 07:05:50 pm »

Don't worry Alexsandrs.
It is normal, we are speaking about things arround 30 years old. Even my English is not so good as before.
Thank you for your job, creating and supporting this wonderful web page.
Best wishes.
Fernando.
Systemind

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 10:55:04 am »

Hi,

I will like to add in one OS I used working in 1979 called FOS. It stands for Financial Operating System. The OS was using INTEL 8080 chip for programming for MTS (Modular Teller System) solution.
Systemind

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 11:02:59 am »

The FOS also supports 1st version of NCR ATM called NCR 1770 (Lobby) and NCR 1780 (Thru the wall module). The hardware was produced in Dundee and software solution in Dayton.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: