THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
September 01, 2014, 03:34:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NCR VRX Machine  (Read 7123 times)
Systemind

« on: January 15, 2008, 10:02:44 am »

I was working on NCR VRX machine for many years. Is anyone know about a project called COFS? COFS stands for Century Online Financial System. It's bring many good memory while I was technicial support engineer. The memoey size of the system only 64K! Do you belive it!
HowardParsons

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:25:32 pm »

I can believe it. The first Century 101 I worked on had only 32 K.

Howard Parsons
uglytuna

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:00:02 pm »

I can beleive it also.  How about 5K slabs.  That was the total memory of a 315-100 that we worked on at the Ohio State Treasurer Office in 1966.  I know that the 315 does not pretain to the NCR VRX Machine thread subject, but since you mentioned memory sizes...

Take care,

Herb Fish
n8eyh with OCD-WM42 of Hilse

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:24:04 am »

Yes, I knew the project that had been the COFS-II around 1972 at the NCR Dayton sales branch office,
when I had been to Dayton during my first short visiting to USA in my life, only 27 years old.

Originally, I beleive, the COFS-I had been planned for the banking user to build the online banking system without no-programming activities on the Century 100 computer in minimum scaleed configuration, 16K bytes memory with C-615-101, C-692-100 Async. adapter through 1200 bps rate, and several number of C-42 tellers machines through the C-438 terminal controller and the C-428 terminal coupler around late 1960s.

The executive for the COFS-I was the S2 (might be?) resident executive instead of the B2 executive, because of the minimum memory requirment. I suppose the S2 executive limitted to be the single tasking procedure with the OCD (online communication driver). I had studyed the architecture of Mr. Hilcy's OCD through the utility of the COFS software package generator.

Mr. Naohisa Taga, who was my OJT trainer in my 2nd year of fresh person, had been working for the COFS-I project after comleting the Sumitomo Bank online system development project. He used to teach me the algorism of OCD software. However, I could not understand easily the whole structure of the realtime resident executive by my slow brain.
Because the independent task procedure is based on the data connection interface between the programs. On the other hand, the execution procedure is based on the control flowchart through the command connection interface in the program via the BCT (between command testing) phase of CPU. It seemed a miracle for me, as a fresh person.

The COFS project had been managed by Mr. David Chen, who was a collector of Tobacco smoking pipes, because I found many arrays of pipe on his desk. I impressed American culture because I was educated the business manner of NCR Japan, that is, no-private goods in the office. I used to feel free during my staying in Dayton.

At the sales banch office around early 1970s, there were several project teams, for example, the package for the retail online system with C-280 terminals and the financial online system (COFS-II) with C-270 terminals, I remember from my poor memory. I am praying No Memory-Error (ME) indication in my storage of brain.
I was introduced to Mr. Stephen, a project leader, Mr. D. Torres and Mr. Honda, systems analysts.
I met some of them again at my second staying in Dayton for the Branch automation system BAS 5000 development project in early 1980s.

I met new kindful persons who was Mr. Rague Chari, a coordinator for the marketting, and Cathrine, an operator of the telex room during the software development of BAS 5000. I am appreciated of Rague and Cathrine. Because, they assisted me very kindly when I got much works to negotiate with the project responsible person for getting productive result against demands from NCR Japan. Cathrine accepted my super-long telex messages to NCR Japan honestly evey time when I wrote the report after negotiations. I am sorry to spend much transmittion of Telex of Building 21 (might be?).

I knew the importance to be good in human relations through co-working with worldwide people.
And also I was noticed that it is important to understand the functionality of the hardware correctly, especially the interrupt service procedure, through designing the event-driven state machine's software.

Through the above Job-Training in NCR, I got the happy understanding of the goodness to love persons and teach the engineering.
Thanks again.

Katsuhiko
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:50:21 am by n8eyh » Logged

Katsuhiko Hirai
Fan of the Century architecture under 63 index registers.
esjones

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 03:30:47 pm »

When I worked at ANACOMP, we used a Century 300 series machine running B-4. It had a 315 Emulator on it to run older programs that had not been converted to NEAT/3.

In a data safe there, I came across an old CRAM memory deck... talk about computer history!!!

I was heavily involved in migrating everything from the Century system running B-4 to a Criterion running VRX.

- ESJ
rekrause1633

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:09:07 am »

I do remember running F.O.C.I.S. (Financial Online Customer Information System) running under VRX 9+3 in the 80's. My boss, an NCR olt-timer told me they modified it from back in the B3/B4 days. Wonder if they're related.
RogerHallett

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:22:41 pm »

Thanks for the report, n8eyh with OCD-WM42 of Hilse.  I too remember Mt Rague Chari of E&M Dayton (B.28??) as being a most patient and generous man while we were organising the sale, manufacturing and delivery of the largest ever BAS 5000 order received by NCR. There were some great people in E&M who went a long way to accommodate the specific requirements of our banking customer, including modifications to the passbook printer, keyboard keys and labels and even power cords to suit our country.
n8eyh with OCD-WM42 of Hilse

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »

Dear RogerHallett,

You are welcome. That's my presure to communicate one another.
I am remembering my old memory with NCR Dayton peoples to share the target throu our jobs.
Good memorial stories.
I am praying healthy lives of the BAS 5000 project all staffs.
I appreciate your notes, Dear Roger.
Best regards,
Katsuhiko

Katsuhiko Hirai
Fan of the Century architecture under 63 index registers.
terrymoz

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:12 pm »

The first NCR computer (315-100) I taught in the UK had a 10k memory (slabs) A slab was 12 bits which could consist of two alpha numeric characters or three numeric characters. I later taught the Century 100 which had 16k of memory (bytes). 
The laptop on which I am typing this message has 8Gb of RAM........how things have progressed!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: