THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
November 16, 2018, 08:19:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: November 02, 2018, 12:13:06 am 
Started by fred - Last post by uglytuna
Hi JJ,

I remember talking to you several times in R.B.  I think the first time was when I ran a DynaProbe on a large Century 200 site running a B2 partition under B3 at the United Bank in Denver in the early '70s.  My analysis showed that a large portion of the processor time was spent in the B2 OCD.  You became involved and made significant efficiency improvements in the OCD based on that analysis as I recall.  I also spent quite a bit of time working with Berry Gilmore's Systems Services team in Rancho Bernardo.

Herb Fish

on: November 01, 2018, 09:12:11 pm 
Started by heikobuss - Last post by uglytuna
I enjoyed seeing the photo of the Century 300 console.  It brought back many memories.  I worked in Systems Services out of the 741 building in Dayton and provided field support for the B4 Operating System.

on: August 26, 2018, 02:50:20 pm 
Started by fred - Last post by heikobuss

Hello JJW,

i can't remember any possibility on the Century under B1/B2/B3 to have index-sequential access to data files using NEAT/3. How could that work? Can you explain?
When using "Cobol74" there was a in-built index-sequential access.
As written, on VRX with NEAT/VS you can use "CAM"-Files.

Hello JimT,

yes, the CRAM was available on the Century. I remember during the C-200 education at the ITEC London (North Circular Road) in 1972 glancing stunned at this strange peripheral. I've never seen a CRAM on a Century in the field -  thanks God!

Heiko

on: July 31, 2018, 08:46:23 am 
Started by heikobuss - Last post by Aleksandrs Guba
Attached images provided by Rich Lapham!

on: July 30, 2018, 03:12:46 pm 
Started by heikobuss - Last post by Aleksandrs Guba
Hi Lapham,

The mailbox to send any related photos: webmaster@thecorememory.com

Regards,
Aleksandrs Guba
Webmaster

P.S. Attached images provided by Rich Lapham!

on: July 28, 2018, 07:19:20 am 
Started by heikobuss - Last post by wally
Here you'll find more on the 315 rod memory.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A-Thin-Film-Rod-Memory-for-the-NCR-315-RMC-Computer-Higashi/b19a69abd207e2c4ef0acd8ec7e727d94a672e25

and here is a PDF on it
http://www.thecorememory.com/NCR_Higashi.pdf

Neither did I find anything on the 16k rod memory for the Century.

Regards Wally.

on: July 27, 2018, 01:38:06 pm 
Started by heikobuss - Last post by lapham
The CRAM units were on the 315's they also had.  There were rod memory cards, but I don't have a picture of one. I have many pictures of the data center (10)but haven't figured out how to post them on here. If you provide me with an email  (message me) I could sent them to you.

on: July 26, 2018, 03:06:31 pm 
Started by 8178 - Last post by heikobuss
Hello,

the Link to the 605 nostalgia website seems to be dead.

This Link looks like the new address:
"http://www.geocities.ws/NCR605/"

Heiko

on: July 25, 2018, 09:52:40 am 
Started by heikobuss - Last post by heikobuss

Hello lapham,

thanks for your post.

>> I unstuck many CRAM units

Did they in the Chicago Data Center ran a 315 System parallel to the two Century 300, or - I can't really believe it - did they connect the CRAMs to the Century?

>>It was a big deal the day they installed a one meg memory unit

Yes, the 16k Rod Memory Modules for the Century were really big and heavy. I serviced some Century-100 with two modules installed. But (in Germany) on Century-200 with more than 32k we used a memory from Memorex? EMC? in a 19 inch cage - really small compared with the rod memory module. I don't really remember why, but timing problems could be the reason.

I searched intensively in the Net for a picture from the 16k Century rod module, but could'nt find any.

Greetings
Heiko

on: July 10, 2018, 02:45:17 pm 
Started by heikobuss - Last post by lapham
I wasn't a century FE but worked in the Chicago Data Center where they had 2 Century 300's. I mainly took care of the phone line problems as they were on-line to banks in 8 states. I was 605 trained so also did the 621.s and 721's. I unstuck many CRAM units and dabbled/helped on other units. It was a big deal the day they installed a one meg memory unit - the size of 2 refrigerators. Compare that today  to a cell phone - cell has probably 100 times the computing power.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10