THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
May 26, 2018, 03:59:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NCR Criterion Models  (Read 10960 times)
Aleksandrs Guba
Administrator

« on: October 27, 2008, 09:54:35 am »

Hi All,

At the moment The Core Memory site contains info about the following NCR Criterion models:

NCR V-8400
NCR V-8450
NCR V-8500m
NCR V-8550
NCR V-8555m
NCR V-8560
NCR V-8570
NCR V-8575
NCR V-8580
NCR V-8590

Unfortunately I haven't info about NCR Criterion V-86XX models to complete the V-series line. Is there anybody to help me with the said item?

Aleksandrs
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:57:27 am by Aleksandrs Guba » Logged
JimT

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:12:55 pm »

The 8600 was the last and the largest of the Criterion family.  I think we produced it until about 1989 or 1990.  I will see if anyone here at RB has any specific info.  If not I will add what I remember about it.  This is one of the only systems in the Criterion family that I did not work on, but it was still in production when I transferred from Engineering to Manufacturing.  It was a challenging product to build and test well enough to yield an acceptable Out of Box quality result.  I do remember that the early units required close to 6 months to complete in manufacturing.  When I transferred the build time was about 60 days.  As I recall we got it down to about 25-30 days with equal to or better than previous delivered quality levels.
JimT

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:24:48 pm »

I'm still searching for more, but I did find a little information in some of the old "NCR News" publications.  The first 8600 installation was in 1981 at Crédit Agricole d’Arles, a French Data Center.  Early follow on models were the 8635, 8650 and later the 8800.  I'm sure there were additional models, but that's all I could find.  Although the 8600 was the most powerful computer we had at that time, it's primary intent was to sell more high end 8500's.  Customers were concerned about being "topped out" if the bought a high-end 8500 system.  Offering the 8600 provided them a migration path to a more pwerful system.  It actually sold quite a few more systems than was originally projected.  I remember Hugh Lynch saying that the program was approved with the expectation of making about 25 systems.  I don't know the total system count for sure, but I do know that it was over 300.

I will scan some of the pages I found and post them or send them to the web master.  As for hardware, there were a unique set of boards for this system.  They were large wire wrapped boards with ECL 100K circuitry.  The boards were installed from the top into Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) connectors that were on both sides of the boards.  They were wire wrapped rather than etched due to the low volume expectation.
n8eyh with OCD-WM42 of Hilse

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:12:57 pm »

Hi! All,
I found the introduction manual of V-8555M/MP, V-8650, and V-8670 hardware systems,
and of VRX, OLPD, NCR-TOTAL and NCR/TRAN-PRO software system.

Unfortunately, all of them are based on the translated version to Japanese language.
Although only photo will be OK for all, I will send scanned image to Aleksandrs soon.
All of these manuals were for my study to prepare the proposal documents for our customer in 1979.
I remember the IOSS subsystem for 86xx, transfer rate 16 Mbps/ch through the metallic cable,
instead of the T-BAR manual switching units for NCR Century computers.
I was very impressed that it's so smart computer with the versatile functionality provided by engineers in E&M R.B., NCR.

However, I was again surprised of the transfer rate, 100 Mbps, of the optical fiber cable for the TDMA-based dual coupled ring LAN networks
at the TUKUBA Scientific Expo in Japan, 1984. I was feeling that something would be changed soon, like the downsizing trend.
I am very happy to be working in the transformation of the technology, because engineers used to like advances.

Best regards,
Katsuhiko
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:41:10 am by n8eyh » Logged

Katsuhiko Hirai
Fan of the Century architecture under 63 index registers.
JimT

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:29:41 am »

After my last post I went to the company library and searched for information on the 8600.  I found some pictures in the old newsletters which I copied and then scanned.  The quality is not great, but the information is still interesting.  I just now got a chance to scan them into my computer as my work was quite hectic up until I retired (January 30, 2009).  I will make several different posts to try and organize them a bit, and to fit in the reduced scans.

This one is about the first 8600 deliveries.  The picture includes Earl Lash and Bob Beeson, both of whom I worked with and both of whom are now deceased.

JimT

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:38:48 am »

These are from a newsletter with an article about the production of the 8600.
JimT

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:44:32 am »

These are a couple of pictures of the early 8600's taken at the plant (Rancho Bernardo).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: