THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
January 18, 2018, 11:53:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 605 processor  (Read 6435 times)

« on: December 23, 2006, 12:06:08 am »

in my 605 class 11 of the 12 students flunked the test, i was one of them, but i went on to service that baby for a good 15 years

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 07:18:31 pm »

Iíve always looked back on my decades of NCR training as wonderful experience.  Not very many people today understand computers like the lucky group of us that went through the 605 training.  Learning every machine instruction and what was gated out of the processor ROM on each N count was pretty impressive. 

True, the twenty five questions, four hour weekly test was tough, but NCR had high standards back then.  The hard part was the results from one question were used for the next question.  Some of the guys would spend hours on the test and then realize they had made a mistake on the first question.  Those instructors were darn clever.  Lucky me I passed! 

The 605 was pretty advanced for the day with a powerful instruction set and sixteen modes of memory addressing.   I was in one of the early 605 classes in Dayton and still have my 605 schematics that I keep for nostalgia value.  Looking back it seems odd by todayís standards that NCR would invest so much money in our education.  It was way more training than we needed to support the systems and a lot of time spent in Dayton away from our families.  But in the end it was an extremely valuable education that no one could take away from you.             

The 605s I worked with were used in NCRs Point of Sale systems and grocery store systems.  I enjoyed the telecommunications aspect of the POS systems the most and NCRs detailed training and experience were a valuable assent in the industry.  After leaving NCR in the late 70s I was able to put that knowledge to good use and it has made for a wonderful career in the telecommunications industry.           

Marv

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:03:43 am »

I, too, was trained on the 605. Reading these posts about N-counts and such certainly brings back memories. The one thing I remember about the tests was that if you followed a wrong branch when decoding, you always seemed to go to a dead-end with the 16-bit readout displaying the address DEAD.

Marv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: