THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
January 20, 2018, 01:12:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scope of the Forum  (Read 6820 times)
RogerHallett

« on: November 08, 2011, 10:21:30 pm »

Hello all.

Thank you for this forum. Like many others I have found this forum jogging things from my memory. I like the name CORE - although our own memories need refreshing often and after 25, 20, 30, 40 years, this forum is a good way to do it.

NCR was such a diverse company - and when I was with it in the 1970s and 80s was over 65,000 employees. I think the Topics could be widened to include some of the divisions of the company around the world that individuals may relate to better. Such categories as Regions (USDPG, PACIFIC, LAMEA, MEA, Europe); main product groups of Retail, Financial which played such an important part - and of course, R&D Labs, Engineering & Manufacturing facilities and Field Engineering.  There are many others areas of interest ranging from programming a Class 32 to the introduction and operations of Data Centres (Business Outsourcing??). Encryption, chip design, multi-byte addressing for Asian language computing (how DO you manage 30,000+ Chinese characters) - the list is massive. And NCR people did it.

Individuals relate to geographic regions, products, hardware, software - and other people. Anecdotes abound - and seriously fundamental developments and inventions that changed the world of IT should be remembered and celebrated. Yes, I am sure there are many scratchy memories  Angry - no company can avoid the rough bits; but overall, what a stimulating and rewarding experience being associated with NCR  Smiley  - The Cash as it was known in parts. Part of the BUNCH.

What a rich source of talent, skills and memories that make up the very being of who we are. No one who had spent 20 or more of their most productive years could fail to have been profoundly influenced by the company and individuals that we met - this should not be lost.

So please consider the range of topics. It is a bit like a systems analysis job determining the categories in a database - now let's see, topics and users - definitely Many to Many here. 
Giorgio

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »

Greetings to all former employees of NCR, I worked from 1971 to 1978 by NCR, working on sistem 400, 446, 399, 499, I-8200, I-8250, and after a customer on I-8270 and I-10000/55 . I did the first course European in zurich Imos beta.
 Someone can me help:
 - I would like to know the name of the company in Wichita KA, who developed the OS IMOS, first worked on the 8000 series  in B1.

Many thanks and greetings from Switzerland.

Giorgio
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: