THE CORE MEMORY FORUM
April 25, 2018, 06:33:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking info to convert NCR 7401 POS to home jukebox player  (Read 14496 times)
myncrjuke

« on: January 22, 2011, 08:28:08 am »

I recently bought a surplus NCR 7401-2622 (700mhz celeron, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB) POS kiosk touch screen unit on ebay with the idea of converting it to a touch screen jukebox type music player for my home.  When unit is powered up, a beep sequence is heard, believed to be a bios error beep code, and unit does not enter setup when f2 is engaged on an attached ps2 keyboard (as instructed to enter setup in the 7401 manual).  It is suspected there is a security lockout on setup.  Unit displays an NCR logo screen, then very briefly a unit data screen, then immediately another NCR logo screen, then a screen with text statements "no LAN found" and "no operating system found".  There is no operating system on unit as purchased and I have purchased a microsolutions external parallel cdrom drive (also found in abundance on ebay), as the manual indicates to configure unit in setup to boot from parallel port with an external microsolutions cdrom attached in order to load an operating system.  Only problem is that the parallel port on the 7401 is a nonconventional 28 pin small jack and the external parallel microsolutions cd drives all have cables with both ends having conventional 25 pin parallel plugs.  The NCR 7401 manual indicates a cable with part number 497-0411000 (called a parallel display cable) to be used for the parallel/cdrom interface, and cable is hard to locate.  If I could determine a pin diagram for the 28pin/25pin cable, I could make a cable.  If anyone has any information which might solve any of these problems I am having, I would very much appreciate any advice.           
wally

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:00:38 pm »

Hi,
you should try to press ESC during POST to enter the SETUP,
as described in the 7401 User Manual on page 196, chapter 5-2.
Regards Wally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: